Have you ever wanted to have an adult listen to you and your concerns? I mean REALLY listen to you? And wouldn’t it be great if that person had the power to make the changes that you suggest? Well, when it comes to your Indianapolis Public Library, that time is right now.
Presenting the We Love Our Library Tour. The CEO of our library is Jackie Nytes (pronounced NEE-tus). Over the next six weeks, she will be visiting every branch of the Indianapolis Public Library system. (Here’s her calendar of visits.) She’s interested in hearing about our library, what we do right and what we can do better. Even what we do wrong.
“Whoa…” you say in your best Neo-from-The-Matrix voice. Talk to a CEO? Me? Yep. Jackie is very approachable, open-minded and very willing to hear from all of our patrons. And she can make the changes you suggest.
The concentration during this year’s tour is on our collection. eBooks? Teen fiction? More databases? Large print? What can we add or change to make our Library better for you.
Want to make a difference? Then this is your opportunity. It’s knocking, don’t pass it up.
If you weren’t able to make it to Carnegie Hall this past Tuesday–or Central Library, either, where we streamed the event–you can click on the picture of John Green below to see a YouTube video of his and brother Hank’s “An Evening of Awesome.”
As soon as the video begins, click where it says SKIP TO THE BEGINNING OF THE SHOW! Or, if those words don’t appear, drag yourself forward 35 minutes and 10 seconds.
Let’s say happy birthday to The Fault in Our Stars! I mean the book by John Green.
Green and his brother Hank will be celebrating his novel’s anniversary at Carnegie Hall on Tuesday, January 15th at 7:00 p.m. Their musical guests will be the Mountain Goats.
If you can’t make it to Carnegie Hall that night, join us in the Clowes Auditorium at Central Library, where we will stream the event live.
“My nostalgia is so extreme that I am capable of missing a swing my butt never actually touched.” Attend this event, and your nostalgia for it will be within reason.
The Indianapolis Colts are joining The Indianapolis Public Library to promote using your library card during the “COLTSRONG, LIBRARYSTRONG” campaign through December 31.
- The contest is to promote and encourage young people, 6 to 17 years-old, to use their library cards at the various branches and Central Library of the Indianapolis Public Library (the “Library”).
- The contest begins 12:00 am on November 26, 2012, and ends 11:59 pm on December 31, 2012.
- Library card holders are automatically entered into the contest when they use their library card for any library service. Only one library card usage per day, per person will count for entry into the contest. No purchase is necessary to win the contest.
- The more days during the contest period the library card holders use their library card, the more automatic chances are entered into the contest and the greater the odds of winning.
- After the contest period ends, one winner will randomly be drawn by computer and notified on January 2, 2013.
- The date and time of the Colts players visit is to be determined by the Indianapolis Colts and the Library.
- The event is limited to the winning child, the winning child’s family and 20 of the child’s friends each accompanied by an adult – not to exceed 50 people.
- The event is limited to 50 people.
- The contest winner must be a Library card holder, 6 and 17 years-old, and a legal resident of the fifty United States.
- The contest is open to the general public, not Library employees.
- The contest is run by the Indianapolis Public Library, P.O. Box 211, Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-0211.
- Contest prize has no retail value.
Zombies are taking over Central Library on Saturday, November 10th!
Enjoy zombie face painting by Hugabug Family Entertainment
Zombie theatre production written and acted by students from the Indiana Repertory Theatre Youth Conservatory
Join an author talk with Mike Mullin, author of Ashfall (Booksigning to follow)
Create a zombie caricature with Art with a Heart (Call 275-4222 to register)
Experience a martial arts demonstration
Celebrate the takeover of the walking dead with a day of zombie-themed activities!