According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), rhyming and poetry are important ways parents can promote early brain development and boost vocabulary in their young children. Many books written for babies and toddlers use similar sounds and speech patterns that help them learn new words. But rhymes are also learned directly from parents and caregivers, and then passed down by word of mouth from generation to generation.
The AAP recommends that parents share rhymes with their children—either by reciting memorized nursery rhymes or reading books in rhyme—and work in some fun and snuggling, too. By playing simple games, like clapping to the rhythm in a poem or rhyming words to the names of everyday objects, parents can encourage creative thinking in their children and create wonderful memories that can be passed down to future generations.
Read Right Now! books you can read online, right now, with no waiting!
|Read Dr. Seuss on the Loose – A collection of rhymes from the master of verse.|
More FREE Online Reading:
- Read Right Now! eReading Room for Kids
- Ready to Read: Story Apps for Kids
- Ready to Read: Free Online Stories Read Aloud
- Online Game: Nick Jr. Oobi Games
- Online Game: Sesame Street Make Time to Rhyme
- Online Game: Sesame Street In the Nick of Rhyme
- Online: Sesame Street Jumping Rhymes
- Printable: Dora’s Rhyming Maze
- Printable: Blue’s Rhyming Storybook
- This article by PBS Parents offers ideas and information about the history of rhyming to help children learn.
- We’re focusing on the arts again this week! This Too Small to Fail infographic and blog post offers ideas for parents on how to bring rhyming and other artistic activities into your lives.
- This FREE rhyme booklet from the Perry Public Library will help parents and their children get their rhyming on!
- Pete the Cat Rhyming
- Pete the Cat Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Rhyming
Want to read more without ever leaving home? Use your indyPL library card to download eBooks and audiobooks. Click on a book jacket to choose a book to download.