Event Details – 500 Festival Parade
Sat, May 28, 2016, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm
Location: Downtown Indianapolis
Route; Parking & Street Closings
That cranky lasagna loving cat Garfield is coming to town! Garfield will appear in the 2016 Indy 500 Festival Parade with library staff making sure he doesn’t take any wrong turns or float away!
Made possible by The Indianapolis Public Library Staff Association and Friends of the Library through gifts to The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation.
Memorial Day Closing
All Indianapolis Public Library locations will be closed May 28 – 30 for the Memorial Day holiday weekend, except the InfoZone which will be open each day from 10am – 5pm.
Click on a story or book app to read a FREE Garfield eBook online right now! NOTE: The Garfield eBooks can be viewed on a desktop computer or on a mobile device that supports Adobe Flash Player. If you want to view them on an iPad, you need to view them on a Flash enabled browser. You can find them in the App Store. I use Photon Flash ($4.99). I tried some of the free ones but could not find one that worked very well. If you find one that does – leave a comment below!
||Read the Free App Garfield Daily – Feed your Garfield need with a daily dose of the classic comic! The Garfield Daily Comic iPhone app allows you to view every Garfield daily comic strip ever produced – that’s over 11,600 strips! Google Play, iTunes
||Read the Free App Garfield KaBOOM! Comics – Everyone’s favorite lasagna-scarfing cat opens the fridge to an all-new ongoing comic book series! Join Garfield as he begins his monthly exploits with Jon, Odie, and the rest of the gang in the latest all-ages must-read from KaBOOM! Google Play, iTunes
New Garfield Books to Check Out:
Websites, Apps & Printables:
Click on an image to open a printable writing activity:CDs & DVDs:Stream or Download Garfield CDs & DVDs free using your IndyPL Library Card number and PIN. Directions; What’s My Pin?
Below are several reading programs you can participate in at home to encourage year-round reading and even earn prizes. You can visit any IndyPL library location to checkout books or you can Read Right Now! by visiting our eReading Room for Kids – free eBooks you can read from your device at home, no waiting!
- Paladium Pals Book Club
- All Year
- Earn a Free Student Ticket to a show at the Center for the Performing Arts in Carmel.
- Read Across America Day
- March 2, 2016
- The National Education Association is building a nation of readers through its signature program, NEA’s Read Across America. Now in its 18th year, this year-round program focuses on motivating children and teens to read through events, partnerships, and reading resources.
- Take the Read Across America Pledge
- World Book Day
- March 3, 2016
- To help make World Book Day special – and to encourage reading for the rest of the year too – there are a whole range of resources including lesson plans, activity sheets, discussion guides and free eBooks.
- D.E.A.R. Drop Everything And Read
- April 12th in honor of Beverly Cleary’s birthday (but can by anytime!)
- D.E.A.R. stands for “Drop Everything and Read,” a national month-long celebration of reading designed to remind folks of all ages to make reading a priority activity in their lives. Because, what’s more fun(damental) than reading, really?
- Free Comic Book Day
- May 7, 2016
- Free Comic Book Day is a single day when participating comic book specialty shops across North America (including IndyPL Library Locations!) and around the world give away comic books absolutely free to anyone who comes into their shops!
- National Readathon Day
- May 21, 2016
- If you are a library, school, or bookstore, start planning a reading party where readers can join together in person to celebrate Readathon Day. Email email@example.com to tell them about your event and have it featured on their Reading Parties page.
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards Calendar
- Summer 2016, Offer expires 12/31/16
- Print the Reading Rewards calendar, mark it for reading every day for 2 weeks.
- Take it to a Chuck E. Cheese location to get 10 FREE tokens. Child(ren) must be present to redeem. Only at participating locations. Food purchase is required.
- Printable Calendar or en Español
- Star Wars Reads Day 2016
- October, 2016
- Star Wars fans, authors, and artists come together to celebrate reading and Star Wars.
- Jump Start Read for the Record
- October 27, 2016
- Read for the Record mobilizes millions of children and adults to celebrate literacy by participating in the largest shared reading experience. On this day people across the country united to read a children’s book.
Today is World Read Aloud Day! Read a FREE storybook online “New Day, New Friends“!
What You Need:
- A valid indyPL Library Card & PIN (What’s My Pin?)
- Register for a free account at hoopladigital.com. You will need your email address, Library Card number and PIN.
How to register and login to Hoopla on a Computer:
1. Go to https://www.hoopladigital.com/.
2. Click on the blue rectangle that says: “Get Started”.
3. Enter an email address and password. Remember your password – you will need it to login later.
4. Click on your home library, in our case, that’s Indianapolis Public Library.
5. Enter in your email address, the hoopla password of your choosing, your Library Card number and your Library Card PIN. What’s My Pin?
6. Click Sign Up Now at the bottom of the page.
7. When you return to https://www.hoopladigital.com/, login at the top of the Hoopla home page your email address and Hoopla password.
How to register and login to Hoopla on a Smartphone or Tablet:
1. Download the Smartphone App for your device:
2. To register click on the link at the bottom of the first screen: “Don’t have an account? Sign up”
3. On the Choose Your Library page begin typing “Indianapolis Public Library”. When our name appears, click on it.
4. Fill in your account information. You will need your library card number and PIN. (What’s My Pin?). You will also choose a password – remember it because you will use it each time you login.
NOTE: If you are streaming Hoopla content it will use cellular data – a lot of it! If you do not want to use up data make sure you are in Wi-Fi. Wireless internet access is available at all IndyPL locations.
- You can change the Hoopla website & app to “Kids’ Mode” if you would like to only see materials for kids. On the website, you will see this option in “Settings.” In the App, click on the gear icon in the upper right corner of the “My Hoopla” page. You will see the option to slide the button to the right to turn on Kids’ Mode.
- Hoopla titles DO appear in the library’s online catalog. You can search for titles and check them out in the catalog, however, you will have to open the app and login to your account to watch them.
- As soon as you click “Borrow,” you are charged for one checkout, even if you don’t watch or listen to the item.
- Hoopla only has three categories: music, movies & television, but there ARE picture books in Hoopla. They are categorized under “movies”. They are picture book videos as well as videos based on favorite children’s books. Here are some shortcuts to those titles: