||Listen to Larry Gets Lost - Larry Gets Lost is a series that takes Larry, an adorable puppy, on adventures in cities and places around the U.S., and The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is his next stop! To celebrate, you can follow along with the museum over the next 12 weeks as they read about Larry’s adventures all over the country before he makes his way to the museum. Join them for LIVE online book readings every Tuesday June 11–Aug. 27 at 10 a.m. You can also watch the readings in person at the InfoZone located inside the museum.
Larry Gets Lost in…watch the video book readings:
June 11: Alaska
DC Comics has designated June 12thas Superman Day to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the legendary superhero. What better day to remember your own imaginary adventures being the Man of Steel than by reading a Superman adventure and then putting together a costume for your own little Superboy or Supergirl! You can use an old towel or try one of the more involved costumes below - either way, the imagination will take over.
- DC Comics: Superman
- Infographic: A Brief History of Superman
- IndyPL Ready to Read Pinterst Board: Easy Costumes (Several for Superheroes!)
- Online Game: Justice League Training Academy - Superman
- Printable: Superman Coloring Page
- Printable: Superman Coloring Page #2
- Printable: Superman Coloring Page #3
Selected by: Janet Spaulding, Selection ServicesPrint This Post
Children and families are invited to meet an animal face-to-face and spend time getting to know about it. Presented by Animalia, this program will allow attendees to ask questions about the animal they see. This program is made possible by Friends of the Library through gifts to The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation. Critter Chat programs made possible by The Kroger Co. Schedule
Here are some ideas to get you started exploring and having fun in your own wild backyard:
- Family Fun: Gardening and Nature Crafts
- Make a Terrarium
- PBS: Backyard Naturalist
- Backyard Birds of Indiana
- Northern Indiana: Backyard Gardening
If you want to explore a little further than your own backyard here are some great places right here in Indianapolis to go find some outdoor critter adventures:
- Indianapolis: Eagle Creek Park Ornithology Center (ornithology is the study of birds.)
- Indianapolis: Holliday Park & Nature Center
- The Indianapolis Musuem of Art: 100 Acres: The Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park
- Indianapolis: White River State Park
- Indianapolis: Fort Harrison State Park
- Indianapolis: White River Gardens
- Indianapolis: Garfield Park Conservatory & Sunken Garden
|Some books you might like about animals, science and nature crafts right in your own backyard:|
Find more books with these Catalog Searches:
- Catalog Search: Birdhouses
- Catalog Search: Bird feeders
- Catalog Search: Nature Crafts
- Catalog Search: Urban Animals
Children and families are invited to a fun music concert featuring the percussion group, CLANG! Its musicians play homemade and wacky instruments. Kids will have a chance to help out with the music! Schedule
- San Francisco Symphony Kids: Percussion Family
- New York Philharmonic Kidzone: Percussion Showdown Game
- New York Philharmonic Kidzone: Instrument Lab
- Dallas Symphony Orchestra Kids: Make Your Own Instrument
- TLC: How to Make Musical Instruments for Kids
- Spoonful: Music & Instruments
- Pinterest Board: Homemade Instruments
Sunday, June 9, 2013
Families are invited to join award-winning photographer and writer David FitzSimmons in exploring the amazing world of animals as described in his award-winning children's picture book, "Curious Critters," and found in his 24-image exhibit at Central Library on display through June 28.
- Silly Safaris will present live animals for children and families to ask questions about from 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
- At 2 p.m. in Learning Curve's Green Screen Theater, FitzSimmons will perform parts of his picture book. Children will shriek like hawks, hop like toads, and slither like snakes. They'll learn how butterflies drink, the ways mammals fly, and why frogs sing.
- The show will include puppets and take-home activities for all children.
- At 3 p.m. in the Atrium, FitzSimmons will show his unique animal photos and describe how he turned these mesmerizing portraits into his award-winning picture book. He'll discuss the techniques, challenges and purposes for photographing creatures against white backgrounds, as well as the process of bringing a book from idea to reality.
Children and families are invited for stories from guest readers, games, activities and snacks during this program sponsored by IMCU. Meet the Library's mascot, Digit, as well as Cubbie from IMCU. Those attending are encouraged to register for the Library's 2013 Summer Reading Program and receive a prize. SchedulePrint This Post
In celebration of International FireFighters' Day take a look at these images from the history of firefighting right here in Indianapolis. At right is a photo of a horse drawn firetruck from 1874. In this digital collection you will be able to show your kids photos of old firetrucks and actual fires being fought right here in Indianapolis. A great hometown field trip? The Indianapolis Firefighters Museum and Historical Society on Massachusetts Ave.
- IndyPL Digital Collection: Indianapolis Firefighters Museum
- Official Website: Indianapolis Fire Department NOTE: Registration Form for Firefighter For a Day Camp in June!
- VisitIndy: Indianapolis Firefighters Museum & Historical Society
- Firefighters: Survive Alive!
Memorial Day Closing
All Indianapolis Public Library locations will be closed May 25 - 27 for the Memorial Day holiday weekend, except for the InfoZone which will be open each day from 10am - 5pm.
That lovable little red puppy who grew up and became Clifford the BIG RED DOG is coming to town! Clifford will appear in the 2013 Indy 500 Festival Parade with library staff making sure he doesn't take any wrong turns or float away!
Made possible by The Indianapolis Public Library Staff Association and Friends of the Library through gifts to The Indianapolis Public Library Foundation.
Here are some websites and books that will help you know all the fun details of Clifford's BIG adventures with Emily Elizabeth.
- Clifford's Official Website
- Clifford: Activities & Printables
- PBS: Clifford
- NPR’s 2012 Norman Bridwell Interview on the occasion of Clifford’s 50th birthday. Did you know Norman was from Kokomo, Indiana?
- Indy 500 Festival Parade
- SLJ’s Interview with Norman Bridwell
- Clifford the Big Red Dog
- Clifford Takes a Trip
- Clifford at the Circus
- Clifford’s Birthday Party
- Clifford’s Good Deeds
- Clifford’s Pals
- Clifford’s Happy Easter
- Clifford’s Christmas
Books Recommended By: Janet Spaulding - Selection ServicesPrint This Post
Children of all ages and families are invited to Central Library's Clowes Auditorium as the Indianapolis School of Ballet performs an excerpt from its upcoming show, "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Following the performance, ballet dancers will conduct a workshop in the Learning Curve's Green Screen Theatre highlighting various ballet dance moves. Children will be invited to participate in practicing the ballet steps the dancers will exhibit.
Sunday, May 5, 2013 @3:00pm
- Indianapolis School of Ballet
- Folger Shakespeare Library: Shakespeare for Kids
- University of Texas at Austin: ShakespeareKids
- BBC: William Shakespeare
Children of all ages and families are invited to hear members of the Indiana Pacers read their favorite stories in children's literature during "Read Like a Pro — Call-a-Pacer 2013" on The Indianapolis Public Library's 24-hour Call-a-Story telephone line.
By dialing 275-4444, or toll-free at 877-275-9007, callers will hear recorded stories from Pacers players who demonstrate their love of reading as a way to encourage young ones to develop the habit.
This year's "Read Like a Pro — Call-a-Pacer 2013" schedule includes:
|Beginning April 29 Read by: Paul George
Is Your Mama a Llama?
|Beginning May 6th Read by: Gerald Green
I’ve Lost My Hippopotamus
|Beginning May 13th Read by: Orlando Johnson
How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You?
|Beginning May 20th Read by: George Hill
How Do You Feel?
|Beginning May 28 Read by: Ian Mahinmi
Never Take a Shark to the Dentist
|Beginning June 3rd Read by: Jeff Pendergraph
|Beginning June 10th Read by: Tyler Hansbrough
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?
Bill Martin, Jr.
|Beginning June 17th Read by: Miles Plumlee
Pop! The Invention of Bubble Gum