2450 N. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46208
This location is not open to the public.
Checkout services available only at bookmobile stops.
About Outreach Services
Outreach Services, previously known as Extension Department, traces its roots back to 1897, when Miss Eliza G. Browning opened several small delivery stations in fire stations around Indianapolis for the the firemen to use. In 1922, the Library had three of these delivery stations and several deposit stations of rotating materials located in industrial plants, department stores and hospitals.
In 1940, a separate Extension Department was established, growing out of the old "Out-of-School Division" created in 1924, while continuing to provide collections to schools. For 49 years, the Extension Department served the public until the reorganization in 1973. At that time, the Extension Division was formed and moved from Central Library to the newly-acquired Library Service Center at 1435 North Illinois Street on the second floor.
Bookmobile service became an important tool for providing materials in the city/county system. In 1994, the Library built a modern facility on Meridian St. and Extension Division moved into the Library Services Center where it resides today. In 1997 the department was renamed to Outreach Services which reflects what this service section provides for the community: bookmobile and collection services.
The Outreach Service Section is not open to the general public. If you have a question about our programs and services, please call 275-4075.