Nic Bishop, who also wrote Nic Bishop Spiders and Nic Bishop Frogs, has now turned his camera lens toward butterflies and moths. He continues to capture really amazing pictures of animals. You really have to see the rain forest caterpillar on page 16. When it’s scared, it flips its upper body over and puffs up its head so that it looks exactly like a poisonous snake – really. If you didn’t know it was a caterpillar you’d never guess.
« Previous 1 … 162 163 164 165 166 … 184 Next »
Jamie’s teacher assigns keeping a diary for three weeks, something Jamie is all over…until she finds out the diary entries will be read by EVERYONE. Even though the author’s name will be anonymous, this clearly violates the Sacred Secrecy of Dairies.
And how can Jamie violate that? She won’t, so she writes a a fake diary to turn in at school, and lucky for us, keeps her real diary too. That’s how we find out Jamie has a new attachment to her nemsis Angeline. Jamie’s dog Stinker has gone and had puppies with Angeline’s dog Stickybuns. According to Jamies, this makes she and Angeline not related exactly, but dog-in-laws. “In-laws are like a side order that you didn’t ask for that comes with the food you DID order.”
- Dear Dumb Diary Official Website
- Make Your Own Dear Dumb Diary
- Read an Excerpt
- Watch an Interview with the Author Jim Benton
- More Dear Dumb Diary Books
Dandelion Fire picks up the adventure begun in 100 Cupboards. Henry York is back in his Kansas bedroom sleeping next to his wall of 99 cupboard doors that lead to other worlds. Henry can’t sleep and he can’t stop thinking about what lies behind the doors.
When Henry discovers that he and uncle Frank actually come from one of the other worlds behind the magic cupboards, Henry can’t resist exploring in the cupboards again. Henry’s cousin Henrietta also can’t resist and is soon caught up in her own adventure. When uncle Frank goes after them, the family becomes hopelessly separated – scattered in different parts of the magical world Henry and uncle Frank come from. And there is evil there waiting for them – the Witch of Endor and her evil accomplice. Will it be divide and conquer? Or will Henry’s family overcome the evil forces that are out to destroy them?
If you haven’t already, I think you’ll want to read 100 Cupboards first so that you understand how the magical doors work. These are imaginative and original – who wouldn’t want to be able to adventure through magical doors? It’s like the door in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe…only 98 more! Author: N.D. Wilson
- Listen to an Excerpt Dandelion Fire
- Amazon Look Inside Dandelion Fire
- N.D. Wilson’s Official Website
100 Cupboards Series:Print This Post
The Komodo Dragon is the largest living species of lizard. These lizards can grow to be 6-10 feet long! The Komodo Dragon lives on islands in Indonesia. People in Indonesia call them “land crocodiles.” Nothing on the islands preys on Komodo Dragons, so they can grow BIG and LONG. And if that isn’t impressive enough, they have teeth like sharks and poisonous spit! You can get an up close look at them all summer at the Indianapolis Zoo. (Keep your fingers out of the cage, though, OK?!) The exhibit, called Dragons of Komodo, opens today, May 23, 2009 and will stay until September 7, 2009.
- San Diego Zoo Animals Bytes: Komodo Dragons
- Animal Planet: Komodo Dragons
- National Geographic Komodo Dragon Fact Sheet
- National Zoo Komodo Dragon Fact Sheet
- IMCPL Books about Komodo Dragons
- Watch Houston Zoo Video of Smaug the Komodo Dragon
- Watch Animal Planet TV Video: Nature’s Perfect Predators – Komodo Dragons
National Geographic/Denver Zoo Video:Print This Post
- Official Site of the Indy 500
- Motorsports Hall of Fame of America
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis: Indy 500 Artifacts
Online Racing Games for Kids
- HotWheels Online Games
- IMCPL Info Guide for Kids: Indy 500
- The starting field for the 2009 Indianapolis 500 visited Herold Square in New York May 18, 2009:Tomorrow, Friday, May 22, is Carb Day at Fountain Square Library at 4:00 pm. Build, paint and race your own wooden race car. All materials will be provided. Details