If you want to know what it was really like during the California Gold Rush, this book is a great place to start. It isn’t a textbook telling all the facts, this is the inside story of the gold rush told by one of the miners himself, Thomas Hartley. Thomas tells the story from the day he heard about the discovery of gold in California. All the people around him can talk about is gold, “how much and how to get it and how to spend it once you’ve got it.” Of course, they forget to talk about all the work…and the danger. Thomas’s story includes blisters and rotting teeth, scurvy, dysentery, scheamers, crooks and murderers. A true adventure that just might end in fortune. Author: Tod Olson Illustrator: Scott Allred
- Look Inside How to Get Rich in the California Gold Rush
- Online Game – See if You Can Strike it Rich
- American Experience Wayback U.S. History for Kids: Gold Rush!
- California’s Untold Stories: Gold Rush!
- In His Own Words: The Discovery of Gold in California by Gen. John A. Sutter