Have you been assigned making a leaf collection yet? If you have started your collection already but haven’t identified the leaves yet, here are some websites and books that will help you figure out the names of the trees your leaves came from.
- What Tree Is It?
- Visit Indiana: Fall Color Blog
- Nature Conservancy of Indiana: Winter Tree Identification
- Butler University: How to Identify Trees
- Virginia Tech: Tree Identification Fact Sheets
- Arbor Day: What Tree Is That?
- Early Forest: Tree Identification Tool
- LeafSnap App Electronic Field Guide
If you haven’t started your collection yet or want to add to what you already have, there are two great places you can go in Indianapolis to find leaves, Crown Hill Cemetery and Butler University. Both places have websites you can go to for maps and directions. They even label the trees so that you know for sure what kind of leaf you have. Put on some old shoes and go on a leaf hike. The sun is shining, you get a map, the trees are labelled – Easy A!
CROWN HILL CEMETERY
700 West 38th Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46208
Directions & Hours