The legendary Maya Angelou died today, she was 86 years old. Maya was a writer, actress, professor, singer, dancer & activist whose voice and actions were celebrated and admired all over the world.
“Dr. Maya Angelou Speaks” is a series hosted by Scholastic which features video clips of the celebrated poet answering important personal and cultural questions – including her poetic inspirations, the importance of commitment to community, and more. Two of the clips are especially moving today::
“Life is a constant lesson and so I’ve passed some and I’ve flunked some and so people will read, and see, and they will use what is useful for them.” We will. And we thank you Maya.
This one is Maya’s message to you:
A wise woman.
- Houghton Mifflin Meet the Author Maya Angelou
- Dr. Maya Angelou Speaks: A Dream in Color Activity
- Famed poet Dr. Maya Angelou discusses everything from her influences to her legacy in these exclusive videos.
- Grades: 3–5, 6–8
- PBS African-American Profiles: Maya Angelou
- NPR Tavis Smiley Audio: A Talk With Maya Angelou
- NPR Maya Angelou Reflects on a “Glorious Life”
- Poetry Foundation: Maya Angelou
- Academy of American Poets: Maya Angelou
- Academy of Achievement: Maya Angelou