The words in this book are the words from Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I have a dream” speech which he delivered on August 28, 1963 during the March on Washington. Marchers came from all over to gather in front of the Lincoln Memorial. A lot more people watched the march and heard this speech on television.
The paintings in the book were done by Kadir Nelson. The book was named a 2013 Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award Honor Book.
Explore the books & links below to watch the speech itself or find out more about why the March on Washington was so important.
- Oregon Live Photo Gallery: March on Washington & I Have a Dream Speech
- Denver Post Photo Gallery: March on Washington
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial
- National Geographic Kids: Martin Luther King Jr. in Pictures
- Library of Congress America’s Story: Martin Luther King Jr.
- BrainPop Movie: Martin Luther King Jr.
- Seattle Times: Martin Luther King Jr. & the Civil Rights Movement
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
- Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
- IndyPL Kids Blog: Homework Help – Black History Month
- IndyPL Ready to Read Blog: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
Books about The March on Washington & “I Have a Dream”
Books about Martin Luther King Jr.
More Info Guides about Black History:
- Black History: Athletes
- Black History: Authors & Illustrators
- Black History: The Civil Rights Movement
- Black History: IndyPL Digital Collections
- Black History: Martin Luther King Jr.
- Black History: Musicians & Singers
- Black History: Painters & Artists
- Black History: Scientists & Inventors
- Black History: Slavery
- Read Right Now! Black History
- Read Right Now! African American Stories
Book Recommendations by: Janet Spaulding, Selection ServicesPrint This Post