TAKING A GIANT STEP…LEADS TO GIANT READING RESULTS!
The ‘National Report of the Commission on Reading’ declared that “reading to children” is the single most important factor in reading success. The threat of illiteracy for children who don’t learn the pleasure of reading is very real in Indianapolis. You can make a giant difference in getting younger kids interested in reading. Because younger children look up to older teens, you can turn them on to reading and help build a community of readers through volunteering.
Past participants of Reading Giants tell us that reading to younger children is a lot of fun. So turn up the heat this summer and volunteer to read aloud to younger children at any of the Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library’s branches. In addition, teen volunteers who complete the program will have the opportunity to earn a Borders® gift card to further their educational interests. The Kroger Co. has established these gifts to promote literacy and to let local teens know how much their contribution to the community is appreciated.
HERE’S HOW TO GET INVOLVED!
- Beginning June 7, register at the Summer Reading Desk of any Indianapolis-Marion County Public Library and receive an official Reading Giants Point Card.
- Teens, in grades 6-12 (next fall), may participate and earn points and prizes simultaneously in both Reading Giants and the regular Summer Reading Program. However, you must register separately for that program and receive a regular Summer Reading Point Card.
- Jr. Reading Giants and Reading Giants earn their first 50 points by watching the fun, self-directed tutorial available at computer terminals at all Libraries. The tutorial provides examples of ways to improve read-aloud skills and tips to make books come alive for listeners.
- For every fifteen minutes of time spent reading aloud to other children, Jr. Reading Giants and Reading Giants will earn 50 points. These times will be arranged by the librarian and can take the form of organized story hours or impromptu read-aloud breaks in the library.
- Younger children who listen to stories read aloud at the Library will earn reading credit in the regular Summer Reading Program based upon the point value of the book. Jr. Reading Giants and Reading Giants may also earn reading credit in the regular Summer Reading Program based upon the point value of the book.
- The LAST DAY to earn read-aloud credit is SATURDAY, JULY 31, 2010
JUNIOR READING GIANTS AWARD APPLICANTS (Grades 6-8)
Jr. Reading Giants can earn up to 200 points for volunteering their time (Total Volunteer Time – 1 hour) to read aloud to day care groups and other children at the Library.
- Each Jr. Reading Giant who earns the maximum 200 points will receive an APPLICATION FORM which asks participants to describe their volunteer experience in a 50 word essay. To be eligible for selection, applications must be completed and returned to the Library no later than SATURDAY, AUGUST 7, 2010.
- A total of 175 winners will be awarded $25 gift certificates.
READING GIANTS AWARD APPLICANTS (Grades 9-12)
Reading Giants can earn up to 400 points by volunteering their time (Total Volunteer Time – 2 hours) to read aloud to day care groups and other children at the Library.
- Each Reading Giants participant who earns the maximum 400 points will receive an APPLICATION FORM which asks participants to describe their volunteer experience in a 100 word essay. To be eligible for selection, Applications must be completed and returned to the Library no later than SATURDAY, AUGUST 7, 2010.
- A total of 75 winners will be awarded $45 gift certificates.