East Washington Branch's Centennial Anniversary
November 22, 2011
The East Washington Branch of The Indianapolis Public Library, one of two original Carnegie libraries still providing services to Indianapolis citizens, celebrated its Centennial Anniversary on Saturday, November 12, 2011. The East Washington Branch, located at 2822 East Washington Street, was the first library in Indianapolis to be built with funds from a $120,000 grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The other Indianapolis branch constructed from the Carnegie fund still in existence is the Spades Park Branch, located at 1801 Nowland Avenue. Highlighting the day's celebration was a presentation by award-winning Indiana author Scott Russell Sanders who reflected on the importance of public libraries today.